It's nearly impossible to build a brand with a single strategy. Instead, growing your personal brand will require a combination of many things, like:
- Creating good content
- Properly sharing content
- Frequently and consistently sharing good content
- Guest podcasting, blogging, etc.
- Having one piece of content go viral or one IG celebrity call you out
- Community interaction that drives word of mouth
- Paid advertising or PR
While there are many moving pieces that go into building a great brand, some carry more weight than others. One of these category-killers is the “Community Re-post Strategy."
Community re-posting is the #1 viral growth strategy that you can start implementing today. We're going to show you how you can execute your own Community Re-post strategy in the rest of this article, but first, let's take a look at someone who's already doing it...incredibly well.
Sweat App: The # 1 fitness app in the world
The #1 fitness business in the world is an app called Sweat by 25-year-old influencer Kayla Itsines. Kayla's app generates more than $60 million in revenue each year and is growing at an exponential rate. To learn more about Kayla's success story check out this article.
Building an online community is Kayla's key to success
Kayla's secret to success is without a doubt, her community building skills. She figured out a way, through social media, to get thousands of girls all over the world to tag her in their content. People tag Kayla in their posts, stories, and Instagram feeds. They text their friends about her. They include her hashtag in their bio. Her community is truly something to admire.
And it's something you can absolutely create for yourself if you know how.
How does community building drive viral growth?
One of Kayla's most popular hashtags on Instagram - #BBG - has more than 6.3 million posts. This means 6.3 million people have shared a picture tagging Kayla’s #BBG to their friends. Of those 6.3 million people, some have 100,000 followers. Some have just 1,000 and some have 100. Either way, 6.3 million posts times a few thousand followers per post turns into hundreds of millions of impressions on Kayla's content...Can you see where we're going with this?!
Getting followers on Instagram from your own health and wellness community to tag you in things is essential to your success because it's free marketing! It's also completely organic, making people who see these posts' more likely to buy in.
This is what the "get people to tag you in stuff" strategy looks like in action. Kayla shows that she cares about engaging with her customers so her customers market her products for her:
Several extremely important sales and marketing tactics are happening at once here...
1. Social Proof # 1 - When you repost a client's picture to your Instagram feed, you are showing your followers that your program works.
If you are someone with a workout/fitness/yoga program, share your client's success stories with all of your Instagram followers. Encourage them to take before and after's so that you can praise them publicly for their hard work. That's exactly what Kayla did and now every new person who checks out her Instagram also checks into the real-life proof that her app works. They see a B&A and think, "Holy cow! Check out how amazing all of her subscribers look! If they can do it, so can I!”
2. Social Proof #2 - When a fan posts a picture to their Instagram feed, they are showing their followers that your program works too.
This is the second form of social proof that is at play here. Not only do you show your followers that your program works, but your fan tells their followers as well! What's more, your fan's followers probably share similar interests and therefore would also make great clients for you! By tagging you in their posts, your follower is telling their online audience, “I tired this product and it worked. Go check it out!” There is no stronger sales tactic than having someone recommend your product.
3. Social Proof #3 - When you repost a fan's picture, they become your ambassador.
For instance, when Kayla reposts' other people's pictures, it makes them feel special.
When you make someone feel special in front of an audience (i.e. all of your followers on Instagram) they become loyal to you! Not only do they become a loyal ambassador, but your other followers want to get the same recognition from you so they'll start tagging you more frequently. Now you have a brand ambassador and thousands of followers that want to become one. This is how you blow up on social media!
Creating and implementing your own unique hashtag
Step 1: Come up with a unique hashtag
Pick a hashtag that you would like your community to start using. Kayla used #bbg (bikini body guide).
- Pick a hashtag that is unique to you and your brand
- Many have been taken so feel free to use your name
Step 2: Use your hashtag every day
Every single time you post content you need to include your hashtag.
- Use your hashtag every day, in all of your posts
- Your Instagram posts can have your tag live at the bottom of each: “Tag me at #YourOwnHashtag”
- Try updating your Instagram stories daily with something like: “Hope everyone is having a great day! Don't forget to share your sweaty selfies with me and hashtag #YourOwnHashtag so that I can see who's working out today :)"
- You get the idea, show your audience that you care about the tag over and over and over again!
Step 3: Repost people who share your hashtag
- Get someone to tag you on their Instagram Stories (check your DM's - this is where you'll see if anyone tagged you!)
- Repost their picture to your stories (check out our Insta stories article to learn how!)
- Don't forget to tag their handle and write a nice comment back!
Step 4: Repeat, repeat, and repeat
The most important thing you can do for yourself as you begin executing use your community hashtag strategy, is staying patient. It takes time and persistence to get consumers to change their habits. Especially in the early stages, you'll need to put effort in every day to increase awareness around your strategy. With a little time, patience and consistency, your community hashtag will start to take off and so will your digital brand.
What if no one is tagging you? Don't worry, there's an easy way to get started before your Hashtag catches on.
- Screenshot your DM's & upload to your stories
- Screenshot your comments & upload to your stories
- Direct message or email a follower or client and ask them & upload to your stories
The community section in the Creator App
People can leave comments, questions and requests in the Community section of your Creator App. When they do, we ask them to provide their Instagram handle so that you can repost their comments to your Insta stories and tag them in your comments.
Early on, it's crucial to repost every comment you receive in the app, to your Insta stories. This will provide the social evidence to your followers that tons of people are subscribed to your Channel. Pretty soon they'll be thinking, "why aren't I?"...
How to repost comments from the app, to your Instagram
When you click on the image button, the app automatically downloads a template of the comment and opens up Instagram. Click on the "Stories" button and hold your finger down on the screen to copy the user's IG handle. Hit paste, make sure that their handle is underlined, and then respond to your fan with a relevant comment!
The Community Repost Strategy was built to reinforce consumer habits
In order to start forming a habit, three things must happen: a cue, routine and reward. These three things make up what is called the human habit loop. The community repost strategy works because it hits all three parts of the habit loop.
- Cue - You ask your followers to tag you in their posts every day (this is their "cue" to act)
- Routine - Your followers listen to you and get into the routine of tagging you in their posts
- Reward - You reward them by reposting their content to your Insta story
Then the habit loop starts all over again!
Where Should This Go?
Every morning, as Kayla checks her phone, her direct messages icon flashes 99+. She reads them in order to offer her audience the very thing they’re looking for - engagement!
When I asked her how she got so popular, she explained that she just recently figured it all out. “Have your passion, but also listen to your audience and what they say, because there’s nothing worse than producing something that you think is cool but is not what consumers want. You have to listen… For example, my clients, they’ll find little things that I don’t see, like, ‘Oh, you should do this, or you should do this,’ and it’s like, ‘That’s a really good idea.’ If you just listen to them, you build a product that your customer wants.”
The #1 driver of digital success on your Channel is your Instagram and app engagement, which is measured by...
- The number of people tagging you on social media
- The number of people you are reposting and interacting with
You want to be getting bombarded with engagement. Then and only then, will your digital brand start working and growing in your favor. When you reach a point where you feel like it is hard to keep up with all of your DM's and tags, consider hiring an intern or assistant to help manage your online community. It may seem silly to pay someone to work on your Instagram a few days a week, but we can't stress enough how important this will be for your brand!
To wrap things up
We talked about a lot in this article but there's been one major theme throughout. And that is this:
Your key to digital success, whether that be on Playbook or any other platform, is creating, fostering, and engaging with your online community. Engagement = growth!